Catholic Women’s League
The C.W.L. was founded in 1906 by Margaret Fletcher, the daughter of an Anglican Clergyman received into the Catholic Church in 1897. The mission of the League has been to educate and encourage Catholic women to play a role in the work of the Church at Parish,Diocesan, National and International levels. The CWL is also a founder member of the World Union of Catholic Women’s Organisations, WUCWO, and affiliated to over 100 women’s organisations in five continents.
Nationally, the CWL has been generous in making grants to fund individual students as each year we receive women applicants to Maryvale courses who are eager and prepared to embark on a degree course without the means to afford the fees. In 2004 the Stella House Trust of the Westminster Branch very generously gifted a capital sum. Firstly, the donation enables us to provide two bursaries a year for students on higher education courses. Secondly, the pledge of £100,000 towards the modernization and re-ordering of the Institute’s Mercy Wing buildings, once the full sum has been raised, will enable six single bedrooms with en-suite shower to be built plus a mobility suite for disabled use, and a lounge and refreshment area for use by pilgrims and students from abroad. Further to this, other sections of the CWL have also been supportive and generous. Saint Anne Line’s Craft Club of the Dunmow Section in Essex have supported Maryvale’s Missionary Projects Fund and their fundraising efforts have enabled us to send much-needed books to support study of the Faith by Maryvale’s Eastern European students.
For further details see: www.catholicwomensleague.org